The 8 Best Cosy Pubs In Dundee For Students
Table of Contents
Dundee is unrecognisable from the town it was just ten years ago. The regeneration of the city centre, in particular, has driven tourism and increased the sense of local pride. It is now famous as Scotland’s cultural centre and bursting with life – you’re sure to love your student years there.
And if you’re going to University of Dundee we know that the search for pubs to have a cosy time and a nice meal at, will be an important one.
Our luxury Dundee student accommodation is the perfect place to unwind after a hard day of study at university, but why not venture out, grab a drink and relax in one of the many traditional pubs in Dundee that serve up delicious, homely grub that will warm your soul.
Let’s take a look at some of the best cosy pubs in Dundee, we guarantee you’ll love every single one of them (but don’t try them all in one night, ok?).
1. Phoenix (Nethergate)
As far as pubs in Dundee go, the Phoenix has retained its charm and traditional values, whilst much of the city around it has changed shape and form in recent years.
The red exterior and green leather benches are part of the history of Dundee and if you’re a student here you will be seeing them at some point during Freshers week, we reckon.
This traditional pub is over 150 years old, and is a great place to sit with a pint and watch some sport in an relxed environment, though it does also have a pretty tasty pub grub menu to tuck into too. The chilli burger and fries are one of the firm favourites with regulars!
- “Food, service, and beer were all to an exceptional standard and we very much look forward to visiting again soon. Thank you for all your hard work and we wish you all the best.”
- “Nice cosy pub. This pub has a great selection of real ales and excellent food at good prices – the Ganga curly fries were especially good (and as spicy as advertised!). The service was quick and efficient despite the fact that the pub was full up almost from opening time.”
2. Innis & Gunn Dundee Brewery Taproom (South Tay Street)
Innis & Gunn Brewery Taproom fits in rather nicely with the idea of this popular and welcoming student city and a UNESCO City of Design.
It’s a great place to sample some of the best beer in the country, there is always a laidback and welcoming atmosphere whether you are looking for a quiet drink or some food.
The pairings between the craft beer range and the fresh food are just astounding, so sit down and enjoy a burger with the perfect matching pint to tickle your tastebuds or the mini Kiev with dirty fries.
The knowledgeable servers really help with this aspect of Innis & Gunn. Great, big, pub grub that is delicious, washed down with a refreshing beer.
- “My partner and I enjoyed a tasty and refreshing dinner of burgers, the cauliflower starter and a few pints of the good stuff, but the real highlight was the server, Adam. He made all the recommendations for food and drink and never steered us wrong. He elevated a good dining experience into a great one, and we can’t wait to be back.”
- “Great food, friendly staff. Food is unusual and delicious. Had the scotch egg, fried pickles, mini Kiev and dirty fries. Would revisit.”
3. Tickety Boo’s (Commercial Street)
Tickety Boo’s manages to create a warm, cosy atmosphere in what is actually quite a spacious pub.
The horseshoe bar and stained-glass windows offer the vibe of a traditional Scottish boozer but you’ll love to hear their drinks and food selection won’t disappoint even the most modern of tastes.
You can sit down and enjoy some of your favourite, hearty pub grub, watch some sport on the telly and catch up with your mates. Perfect.
- “So so good. Just get the chili, get the chili, get the chili. It’s so so hot but oh so delicious 😋. Great pub and great to be back post covid.”
- “Sunday Lunch. 1st visit back to our favourite since lockdown and very pleased to do so. Fantastic bowl of soup followed by the famous Tickety Boo Chilli con Carne really ticked the box for me, soup and a mega portion Prawn cocktail baked potato.:”
4. Abandon Ship (Whitehall Crescent)
An American-style dive bar that plays alternative music, has some retro arcade games and an ultra-cool décor, Abandon Ship isn’t just a cosy pub, like the other places on this list, but it is a must-visit for students looking for the best pubs in Dundee. Looking for a quick bite – the menu is pretty solid too, and you’ll be spoilt for choice.
The artwork is all hand-drawn by the owner, you can buy its custom merch and the food menu has a range of vegetarian and vegan alternatives, which we deffintely recommend you try. Whether it’s the loaded fries, one of the juicy burgers or the cauliflower wings, you’ll be in for a treat.
- “Great staff and a brilliant atmosphere. Well done to all staff involved there.”
- “Went here on Sunday for a first venture out for a long time….service was excellent, food was great.”
5. The TinSmith (Old Hawkhill)
This West End gastropub is always thriving and full of life and is one of the favourite pubs in Dundee with students and locals alike.
It has a nice beer garden, live music and a menu that includes the best pies that you’ll find anywhere in Dundee (whisper it, but we think in the whole of Scotland!).
Try the haggis fritters to start, one of the fantastic pies for a main, and the Scottish classic of a deep-fried Mars Bar to end the meal, and you’ll feel right at home.
- “Great Pies. Had mine with mash, peas and gravy it was lovely. Not only do they taste good but there’s lots of gravy to go with the mash. Unassuming place friendly staff. ”
- “A very pleasant meal and good service. Not too long a wait for our food once ordered, the staff were very pleasant and the food was good so no negative points to add. Would I come again? Yes. Would I recommend someone to go here? Hell yes!”
6. The Braes (Perth Road)
An institution on Dundee’s Perth Road, The Braes is a bustling, yet cosy pub opposite the university campus, making it extremely popular with students.
Its décor is bare stone and rustic wood panelling, and there is a great range of craft beers and some delicious food options.
During the week you can sample Wing Wednesdays, with chicken wings priced at just 25p per wing all day, or try one of the many vegetarian and vegan options on the menu.
- “5 of us were in for lunch on Wednesday and went back again that night for food and football. The staff were a delight, attentive and cheery and the Chicken wings were top notch. Great value and smashing atmosphere. Cheers!”
- Very nice atmosphere and great quick service. Ordered chicken wings, they arrived quickly, and they were succulent and extremely satisfactory, best chicken wings I’ve had IN A LONG TIME!”
7. Duke’s Corner (Brown Street)
Duke’s took a run-down, scruffy premises, updated it, and made it into a great place to see live music, have a few beers in the lovely beer garden or sit down for some tasty food.
This Dundee pub is open seven days a week (late at the weekends) and you’ll find some great BBQ food using the best of local produce, plus a selection of gorgeous craft beer. Whilst you’re here make sure to check out whether there’s a band playing – there’s your student night out in Dundee sorted, and you’ll be supporting local artists.
- “Great local. Lively university bar good grub. Fab selection of local beers. Robyn our server was absolutely superb nothing too much trouble.”
- “Great burgers! The first night in Dundee and “Hannah” really helped us plan our time & jotted us down some things we must do, which we have just about completed! Really friendly & genuine. Food was also excellent and a great selection of beer! Worth a visit.”
8. Molly Malones (West Port)
Serving the good people of Dundee since the 1830s as the former Globe Bar, Molly Malones has taken this cosy pub and added an Irish twist.
All the classics from the previous incarnation remain though. It’s a great place to go with friends from uni for drinks or for a great meal with the family.
Some favourites on the pub menu include bacon steaks and colcannon mash, Irish stew, a choice of juicy steaks and the classic favourite – the Steak and Guinness pie.
- “Was in Molly Malones for food and drinks the staff was great and the food was amazing would definitely be back.”
- “Visited on 4th of August. The food was superb, and the service was brilliant. Big thanks to Claire and the team we thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon. Safe and welcoming, be back soon.”
Mmmm if this hasn’t made you want to phone your friends and go for a pub lunch then seriously, what will? We hope you love the recommendations listed as much as we do and if you’re looking at Dundee for University, make sure to get into contact with our friendly team who’ll be happy to help you out!